Thursday, January 06, 2011

A little seedy...

When we moved into the castle we inherited a mostly neglected and weed-infested vegetable patch, which included a clump of thyme and a spindly coriander plant. The thyme is now the size of a small shrub and the coriander has gone to seed in spectacular fashion. I pulled it out yesterday and planted some spring onions in its place, but not before I cut off all the seed heads. Offering them to visitors is my new party trick - they are SO insanely coriander-y and fresh. Or, as Jeremy put it yesterday, "Bugger the leaves, let's just eat the seeds!"


If you've never eaten a fresh coriander seed then you need to get out into your garden right now (or make a mental note to do so if your garden is currently covered in slush). They're also good scattered in salads or over olives, but nothing beats eating them straight off the stalk. Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Great post! Never seen the seed heads before, makes me want to grow it just to let it run to seed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you just trying to make us cold, pale, kneedeep-in-snow brits jealous? Coriander? In your garden? Now? So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coriander does set seed very rapidly, I usually dry them, but never thought of eating them green, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guessed correctly - do I get prize? :)

    I too haven't eaten them green but have dried them. Would love to get some leaf before they all go to seed but no success so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a freak for coriander. I can munch them all day long. Well, maybe not all day long but certainly I can eat a lot of them like salad. I never tried the seeds like this but I am interested to try. I'm sure I'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Buy coriander seeds or seedlings' — added to today's To-Do list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! I have to say (shuffles shamefacedly) that I did let my coriander go to seed but they were nowhere near as juicy and plump looking as yours. I'd never have tried them green... but guess what? I'm off to buy a small herb pot and see what happens. I adore the taste of coriander!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with all of the above - I usually think oh b*!&$* it's gone to seed - now I know what to do!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...