Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ann's Magic Muesli

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. In my case it's also scattered with muesli. I blame my dear friend Ann. When the Small Girl was born Ann used to leave food parcels and flowers on our doorstep on her way to work. Their contents would vary, but there were three absolute favourites - a zucchini and ham pie, a spicy apple cake and a huge Tupperware container of homemade muesli. We inhaled the pie and cake, but I swear there was a hole in the muesli container because we'd barely get it up the stairs before its contents vanished.

When some friends had a baby last weekend I thought I'd pass on the favour and make some muesli for them. But somehow we started eating it before the jar could be delivered and I fear the next batch will meet the same fate. Oh well, it's the thought that counts...


Ann's Muesli
This muesli is the closest thing I've found to the amazing granola they use in the granola parfaits at Le Pain Quotidien. Ann says the secret ingredients are dried pineapple and Brazil nuts - and the generous amount of oil and honey obviously doesn't hurt either.

6 cups whole oats 
1 cup coconut
1 cup wheatgerm (Ann says she often leaves this out)
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup (at least) of chopped mixed nuts (Brazils included)
1 cup honey
1 cup oil (canola or sunflower, not olive)
 
2 cups dried fruit - sultanas, apricots, pineapple, cranberries, dates etc

Preheat the oven to 150C. Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Melt the honey and oil together in a small pot, then pour over the dry ingredients. Mix well, using your hands if necessary. Tip into a large roasting dish and bake for one hour, stirring every 10 minutes.
When golden brown, remove from oven and cool. (Ann says: "I stir every 10 mins for the next 1/2 hour, otherwise it sticks together".) Stir through the dried fruit. Store in an airtight (and padlocked) container when completely cold. 
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, I LOVE le Pain and their scrummy breakfasts, not least the granola. I'll definitely be trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tradition to continue with your friends, really sweet. The "mice" love the granola in my house too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea.I make my own muesli aswell.So much better tahn bought one and fresher.And you can sue ingredients you like;;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home made muesli is one of my most favourite things in the world. Love adding pumpkin and sunflower seeds too and some shredded coconut too. But I know what you mean - it never lasts til the end of the week!
    Would make such a lovely gift for a new family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't beat homemade muesli and you can throw anything you have in your pantry at it and it always comes out fab.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...