Friday, August 26, 2011

Sweet sweet Friday: Orange Polenta Muffins

I found this recipe while doing some detective work for my job. (What can I say, I'm easily distracted.) I'm also watching The Wire at the moment and "po-lice" work is all I can think about. Anyway, this is a tampered-with version of the recipe I found while trawling the internet for something else entirely. I don't know if it would stand up in court as a decent defence, but it's pretty good all the same. Plus, you can eat the evidence!


Orange Polenta Muffins
If you like my fruity vegan muffins, you'll love these. The orange peel adds intense flavour, the dates are little nuggets of caramel and the muffins themselves have a light, tender crumb.

1/2 cup brown sugar (increase this to 2/3 cup if you like things very sweet)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1½ cups milk
2 navel oranges, finely chopped (including peel)
1 cup dates, finely chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1 cup polenta
1 cup white flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp cinnamon
Handful of longthread coconut for decoration (optional)
Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
Mix the sugar, oil and milk together in a large bowl and let sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
Sift all the dry ingredients into another bowl.
Add the oranges and dried fruit to the wet mixture, then add this to the dry ingredients. Fold together gently until mixed. Divide between the 12 muffin holes and sprinkle the tops with long-thread coconut if desired. Bake for 25 minutes until risen and springy to touch. Let cool for five minutes before turning out of the tray.

Have a sweet, sweet Friday everyone. I'm hoping to watch as many episodes of The Wire as possible... Pin It

8 comments:

  1. These sound very cool, I do like the texture and sweetness that polenta gives in baking.

    The Wire! Which season are you at? If you're particularly obsessed, I do recommend starting from the very start again after you've finished season 5, some things make a lot more sense second time round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This reminds me that I have to find somewhere local that sells dates. Would you believe they don't have them in the regular supermarkets here in Belgium?! There are a few little African grocers in the city though, and they are my source of all things "exotic"...
    I am definitely going to bookmark this recipe, looks delish, and very healthy!
    x Rhi

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks fantastic, lovely ingredients and a lovely texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never made muffins with polenta so there you go another muffin variation worth trying:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY, these are perfect for days that border on being too gloomy and too cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every where I go lately everyone is talking about the Wire. I really must catch up on some TV viewing me thinks ... maybe with some muffins ... hint, hint :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look AMAZING!!! I love addition of orange peel too et they're really tasty and zingy!... never watched The Wire.... has it got space ships in it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great - lovely combo of flavours and textures.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...