Friday, October 14, 2011

Treat me: Chilli chocolate sauce

When I saw that chilli was the guest ingredient for October's We Should Cocoa challenge I knew just what to make. I have a very vivid memory of making a sort of chewy chocolate chilli-infused biscuit from a recipe a work colleague gave me about eight years ago. I remember making them really well in the kitchen we lived in then, which was painted lime green with blue cupboards (the landlord later moved back in, poured lots of money into a reno job and the kitchen won awards for its more tasteful colour scheme. But I digress.) Anyway, with approximately eight house moves in two hemispheres since then, the recipe seems lost forever. But that's not such a bad thing, because I came up with this addictively good sauce instead.

Easy Chocolate Chilli Sauce Recipe And Image: Lucy Corry/The Kitchenmaid

Chocolate Chilli Sauce
Pour this over ice cream, eat from a spoon or let set in the fridge, then roll teaspoonfuls into truffles. You won't regret it...

250ml cream
250g dark chocolate, finely chopped
25g butter
1tsp chilli powder - you can always add more at the end, but go gently to start with

Put everything into a small pot and melt together over very gentle heat (use a double-boiler if you have one). Stir constantly until smooth. Taste for hotness and add more chilli if you are a real hothead. If you're not using it straight away as a sauce, decant into a sterilised bottle and store in the fridge for up to two weeks. Warm gently before serving.

Have a sweet, sweet weekend everyone. My workmates have co-opted me into running a relay up some of Wellington's finest goat tracks. Is it too late to sprain my ankle?

15 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I just want to grab a spoon and dive in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can only get out of the race if you do something MRI-worthy to yourself. Sarah's running with a potentially broken tailbone, remember...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great idea:) I sometimes make Mole sauce;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Live your photograph, Lucy, and I love versatile recipes like this.

    Good luck with your run - you'll feel great once you've done it!

    Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, this good be dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is certainly one way of eating a balanced diet lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad this doesn't have any sugar in it Lucy...I'm trying to find low sugar recipes that are indulgent like this...I eat tons of chillies in everything at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, exciting! I love the chilli chocolate combo but have never actually tried making it at home. This looks like a good place to start...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Just want to dive in with a spoon.
    All the best for the relay! Would much rather stay at home with a jar full of this, myself...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful stuff, I know I'd love a jar or two of that lurking in my fridge. Hope the goat track run went well. As I remember it, Wellington had some very steep hills - don't envy you that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM I am totally doing this....what a great gift idea, I love the chilli on top too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well worth a run - if you had some of this sauce/truffles to look forward to afterwards!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...