Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pea Souper

I'm sorry to be a weather bore, but really, there is little else in my life at present. (Well, apart from writing and packing and trying to see people and remember errands and wrangling wet washing and convincing the Small Girl that she doesn't need Hop On Pop read to her for the tenth time in 20 minutes. But I digress.)

I know it's very Anglo-Saxon to discuss atmospheric conditions but I just can't help it. The wind! The rain! The brief bursts of sunshine that make me think it might be ok to hang the washing out or go for a walk, only to get drenched or tossed about like an autumn leaf.

On the upside, it's perfect weather for soup - and I have just the thing. It might look a bit sludgy in the photo but it's full of robust, earthy flavours thanks to some good old-fashioned ingredients - bacon bones, split peas, a handful of parsley and some (frozen) pea puree stirred in at the end to make it a little less khaki. It's almost worth the weather. Almost.


PEA SOUPER
This recipe can be adapted to suit your fridge or garden, but the split peas and bacon bones are essential.
Take your biggest pot (or borrow one from next door) and set it on the stove. Add 2 cups split peas, 2 large onions, finely chopped, a stick or two of celery, de-strung and finely chopped, 2 carrots, peeled and diced, 500g bacon bones (or a small ham hock), 3 litres of cold water and a bay leaf.
Bring to a simmer, skim off any scum that floats to the top, and simmer gently for about one and a half hours until the peas are soft. Add a cup or two of frozen peas and cook for five minutes more. Let it cool a little, then remove the bones and bay leaf (pouring it through a coarse sieve is the easiest way to do this and will protect you from the terrible fate of putting a bacon bone through the blender).
Puree, then return to the pot and reheat to serve.
Makes lots - freeze some for your next rainy day. Pin It

7 comments:

  1. yum. I LOVE soup - any kind!

    This weather is driving me a little insane also. Just when you think spring as arrived and you can spend your days outside... it sends you back indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup definitely counts as a dinner winner - my very first dinner winner post was on soup.

    Thanks for linking in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely recipe once again, this is my sort of soup so will be making it, although I am hoping that the sun will eventually win through and this will be for autumn. The sun must eventually win through ...won't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just right for this crazy weather. Like the idea of adding peas to bacon bone soup. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also LOVE soup. I wish the others in my family liked it a bit more. I make sure I keep it on the menu anyway so I can keep the younger ones in training. One day they will like it too!!

    My mum used to use a bacon bone in her vegie soup - delicious! I'm always on the lookout for yummy ways to include some more split peas, lentils, etc. as well. This one looks good. Thanks! Lou.

    PS - I love Frankie as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made this from scratch. Thanks for the inspiration. And thanks so much for sharing. Would it be ok for me to link it in a couple weeks in a list of great soups?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh...I need that soup. The weather is getting cold fast. I feel like an old lady at this time every year...complaining about the cold weather up north here in Aberdeen...haha. I have to start cooking lots of soups to keep me smiling :D Thanks very much for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...