Thursday, April 07, 2011

My creative space: Reality check

Whoever invented multi-tasking has a lot to answer for. Lest you think I sit in splendour, languidly composing these posts with nothing better to do, here is a reality check:


This is my kitchen/workspace as of about 2.30NZT. In the oven, slow-cooked tomato and beef stew is gently bubbling in a a fake Le Creuset casserole. On top of the oven is a roasting dish filled with charred muesli (I forgot about it while I was reading the Small Girl a story). The pantry door and adjacent drawers are open because I was making aforementioned stew and muesli at the same time as the Small Girl was wanting to a) put an apron on, b) take an apron off and c) have a story read to her.
On the bench are various bits of detritus, including a bowl of beef stock, half of a marrow that I decided wasn't fit for the stew and a bowl of the less burned bits of muesli.
The island is swamped by two unread newspapers, two recipe books, a dozen eggs I rescued from the helping hands of the Small Girl, several unpaid bills and a bag of castors for the futon (don't ask me what they're doing there, I have no idea). You can't see it, but I know my laptop is steaming with two unfinished commissions (deadline approaching), about 50 emails requiring thought/action and a bunch of stories that need editing.
I won't show you the rest of the house, but it's just about the same. And my in-laws are coming tomorrow. Where's a fairy godmother when you need one?

Hope your Thursday is proceeding in a more orderly fashion. See more organised, creative peeps here.
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. You have no idea how much I love this post! This is why I love reading your blog, I feel right at home! Reading stories and spending time with them is surely much more important than muesli...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahah!!!!! I just have to pick my self up off the floor!!! This is hilllarious! Thanks for sharing the reality of a blogger! I do however love the look of your kitchen (chaos or no chaos!) hmmm.... beef stew sounds amazing - please share that recipe with us!! Hoping the fairy finds you soon and then you can pass her my way!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a more orderly fashion? You are grabbing life with both hands and doing whatever you want and need to...wonderful. Great mess by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if it makes you feel any better mines a bit the same, i also cleaned my oven today so there are still random bits of gas elements, oven trays, oven racks which i hate cleaning the most and of course the yellow pair of rubber gloves which mysteriously become soggy on the inside about half way thru the job ....... good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made me smile with this post! So pleased to know I am not the only one who forgets that something is int he oven, cooks two or three things at once and ends up with a kitchen more like a nuclear fall out zone than a food prep area. Good luck with all those deadlines and the visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is so tidy! ;) hehe
    As long as it all tastes good in the end. You'd hate to clean up all that mess for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always make me laugh Lucy....I know exactly where you are coming from. I always seem to be doing a hundred jobs at one time and the house reflects that a lot of the time...you are not alone...

    ..It's amazing though when I have visitors I manage to get things looking a little more organised just in the nick of time...

    Sorry I can't drum up a fairy godmother for you....but I'm sure that your mother-in-law is really one in disguise!

    By the way love your kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like the imminent arrival of in-laws to get me to move my bum and get some cleaning done!
    Shame about your muesli but as someone else already said - nice that you will take the time to read to the small girl when she asks.
    Love your kitchen! I would love to have an island like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! Love seeing what it really looks like. :)

    Hoping your fairy godmother shows up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha, you made me smile (There's hope for us all then!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the scene - but life is too short to spend it cleaning - my house is usually a mess and yet I figure there are other things I would much prefer to do - such as reading books to small girls - love how you describe the scene to show just how lived in the kitchen is.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...