Friday, November 11, 2011

Sweet sweet Friday: Apple Blondies

One of the things I love about blogging is that it's broadened the scope of things to worry about when I'm awake in the middle of the night. Now, instead of fretting about work I haven't done, bills I haven't paid or the looming spectre of a big fat mortgage, I can lie there wondering how I'm going to think up a post to write. A couple of days ago I realised, when awake in the dark and quiet pre-dawn, that of all the things I could be tossing and turning over, my main concern was November's We Should Cocoa challenge, in which we have to make something involving apple and chocolate. The good news is that a couple of mornings later I woke up and the following idea came to me like a vision. I might start worrying about the Lotto numbers next...


Apple Blondies
This might sound like an unlikely combination, but if you think about it, apples and butter are natural partners (and white chocolate is surely a close cousin of butter, don't you think?) I threw in some cranberries because they seemed seasonally appropriate (to Christmas, that is, not the southern hemisphere spring), but you can leave them out if you like.
Frankie readers: this is a sort of appled-up version of the pumpkin and ginger brownies y'all went mad for in issue 40.

250g stewed apple (or unsweetened applesauce) - if you're making this from scratch you'll need about 3 or 4 apples - see below for details
250g butter, diced
250g good quality white chocolate, roughly chopped
3 eggs
250g caster sugar
150g flour (plain white or gluten-free or spelt, depending on your cupboards)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup dried cranberries

First, cook the stewed apple. Peel and core the apples, then slice and put in a small pot with about 1/4 cup water. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the apples are soft enough to mash to a smooth puree. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 180C and line a brownie pan (I use a tin about 30cm x 20cm).
Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and melt gently by putting it into the warming oven. Keep an eye on it - it will take five to 10 minutes. This is a stress free, energy-efficient way of melting chocolate without having to worry about double boilers and the like.
Let it cool slightly to room temperature.
Beat the eggs and sugar together until combined and thick, then beat in the cooled chocolate and butter. Add the apple and stir to combine. Sift over the flour, baking powder, salt and spice, then fold in gently.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25-35 minutes. Timing is everything with brownies - you want them firm at the edges but still slightly wobbly in the middle. Leave them in the tin to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Cut into bars or squares as you see fit. Makes lots, freezes brilliantly (and tastes AMAZING frozen).


Have a sweet, sweet weekend, everyone.  I'm hoping to make our Christmas cake, do some packing and have an afternoon nap or two (not necessarily in that order). What about you? Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Did you just make this recipe up? That is amazing. I love your top picture - looks so soft and gooey and tempting and I can't resist apples. This is brilliant. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I have been struggling with this month's We should Cocoa as well! Love your solution, totally yummy, hope I can come up with something that good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe.So original.Hey yes you should start having visions about lotto:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with the others, these look delectable and I'd love to try a slice. Haven't put together white chocolate and apple yet - now there's a thought. Lying awake thinking about baking in the middle of the night is almost worth it ...... isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aside from when I'm trying to get to sleep, I find I come up with most of my good writing/recipe ideas when I'm in the shower - not exactly the easiest place to write things down! The muffins look fantastic, and right up my specialty of baking with overripe fruit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just kidding about the muffins, got two posts mixed up, but the blondies look great too! A Must Make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These do look really good - nice response to the challenge. Oddly enough, a few years ago I woke up from a vivid dream convinvced that I knew which numbers would win the lottery that week. I bought a ticket and (hard to believe, I know) not a single one of the numbers came up. If they had, then my butler would be writing this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well. Aren't we just peas in a pod eh? I feel the same. When there's so much to worry about I think our brains shut down and the simpler, more pleasurable stuff comes to the front. Or maybe it's just denial? I love your recipe. It looks so unctuous! Totally divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab way to use this months combo, they look so moist and dense and lush. Heaven on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I very often have my most creative thoughts and ideas just before pre-dawn....not always writing them down unfortunately.
    Apple Blondies look truly scrumscious ~ I could just do with a bite ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, they look delicious! And... any chance of getting a repeat of the pumpkin & ginger recipe? I must have missed it and it sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much better than banana blondies. I'm lookign forward to trying these out. PS I made a variation of your Date and Orange Scones, except my adapted version turned out to be a Clemetine Scone Bread instead - still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had an apple blondie recipe I loved a few years ago and it just wasn't the same without the white chocolate - you're absolutely right, they work so well together. Haven't made it in so long, but your recipe makes me want to try this combination again, especially with the addition of cinnamon and cranberries...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blondies look amazing. I have few apples left and I think I they're gonna be very happy to be made into this blondies...

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...