Friday, September 07, 2012

Treat me: Macaroon slice

It's been a long time coming but this week it really has felt like spring.
Our neighbour's magnolia tree is in flower, I've heard rumours of asparagus in the shops and we have bluebells in our garden. At least, we have bluebells in a pile on the back steps after some small hands helpfully picked them.
With any luck the settled weather will return and I'll be able to make it into the garden tomorrow. Then I'm going to sit on the back steps with a cup of tea and a piece of this fragrant macaroon slice and look at where the bluebells were.


Coconut macaroon slice
Macarons are all very well, but I'm more of a macaroon girl myself. This is a new and improved take on something my mother used to make a lot. It's chewy, coconutty and you can whip it up in one bowl. I think it's an appropriate entry for this month's Sweet New Zealand.
Base
125g butter
2 tsp golden syrup
1 cup plus 1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
3/4 cup dried cranberries
finely grated zest of one lemon
finely grated zest of one orange
1 tsp baking soda, dissolved in 1 Tbsp hot water

Topping
100g butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups dessicated coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a brownie tin or similar (about 20 x 30 cm or smaller).
Make the base first. Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a small pot. Mix the flour, sugar, coconut, cranberries and zest together in a large bowl. Add the baking soda and water, and the butter mixture, to the dry ingredients. Stir well, then press into the prepared tin. Bake for 15 minutes.
While the base is cooking, melt the second measure of butter and set aside. Put all the other ingredients in a large bowl (use the one from earlier) and mix, then add the melted butter.
Pour this over the cooked base and return to the oven for another 15 minutes, until golden brown and set.
Let the slice cool completely in the tin, then lift out and slice with a serrated knife. Makes about 24 pieces. Store in an airtight container.

Have a good weekend, everyone. If you're looking for something to do after you've made this slice, why don't you cast a vote for The Kitchenmaid in the 2012 NetGuide Web Awards. Just paste the URL (that's this bit: http://kitchen-maid.blogspot.co.nz/) into the 'Best Blog' section. Thanks ever so x









Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Voted Lucy. Good luck. And these look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plans sound so idyllic! Lovely looking slice and I shall certainly be voting for you too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me feel so jealous! We're just entering autumn and I'd do anything for the optimism of bluebells and the chance to do this summer again - we've had such a lovely time. And a slice of macaroons and a cup of coffee? I really am very very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am glad I am fasting tomorrow or I would be really tempted to make these and I have had enough treats today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like the sort of think my mother would make but better - definitely on my to make list because I love macaroons and I love coconut - enjoy the spring weather (if you don't have the howling winds and pouring rain we have had the last few days after some teasing sunshine)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Macaroons are more for me than macarons. But I won't say no to either that are homebaked. Your macaroons look really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello, i found your blog recently and have been reading it, and this has compelled me to comment! spring is slowly happening here in hobart (australia) as well. no bluebells in flower yet. this looks deliciously old fashioned - my kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your weather prediction is more accurate than mine. I have moved the tulips in pots to give them half a chance of keeping their heads on in the gales expected over the weekend.I'm on a macaroon quest so this has wetted my appetite even more. Whatever the weather may bring - happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool!

    Can you please send me photo, title and link by email?

    So that I can keep a record of what I get.

    I'll go and vote now :-)

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Help, I do I vote? Do I need write the name of the blog or the link?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Voted!
    And as much as I hope it stays sunny for you, I hope it's not toooo hot, cause I am popping a little something meltable in the post for you... Almost as good as this slice I reckon ;)
    x Rhi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucy, I just love your macaroons, so chewy, and amazingly delicious! I used to make a similar one a long time ago. Thanks for sharing the awesome recipe which I will save, and want to make it soon!

    BTW-I checked your following group and I don't see myself on there...I did follow you in the past, but Google friend connect removed my entire following from before, so that means you're not following me on this site either:-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these look like a recipe my mum had too...I've got her old book but don't remember seeing the recipe. I love the addition of cranberries...they look very moreish.


    Off to vote for you...good luck and have a good weekend
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I too am a real macaroon girl. I have really fond childhood memories of big bags of coconut macaroons, from the bakery at Mercer, on family road trips to Hamilton. I love the way certain foods trigger such memories - can't wait to give this a try.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the cranberries and citrus in the base, really perk up a macaroon. You have my vote too

    ReplyDelete
  16. these sounds delicious! thanks for the recipe and I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...