Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Beetroot, caraway, fennel and feta

I've just been looking through my photo files and realised there are a lot of beetroot recipes in my blog. I hope I'm not boring you. If you don't like beetroot, look away now. But if you do - and you recognise the allure of finding lovely fresh beetroots with leaves attached at the market, plus the fact that with a couple of beetroots in the fridge you can make a perfectly good salad when it seems there's nothing to eat - then read on.

Beetroot, caraway, fennel and feta salad
If it wasn't for the shirt-staining potential of this vibrant number it would make the perfect al-desko lunch. It's got crunch, fresh flavours and nuggets of salty, creamy feta.

500g fresh beetroot (two medium beetroots)
100g feta, diced
1 Tbsp caraway seeds, lightly toasted
1 Tbsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted
1/2 cup baby gherkins, sliced
juice of 1 orange and juice of 1 lemon
2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil

Shred the beetroot (doing it in a food processor is SO much easier than struggling with a grater) and put in a bowl with the gherkins and half the seeds. Shake the orange juice and oil together, taste and add a little lemon juice for sharpness. Toss through the beetroot. Just before serving, top the salad with the feta and sprinkle over the remaining seeds. Drizzle with a little more oil and serve. Makes enough for two as a lunch salad or more as a side.

What's your favourite thing to do with beetroot?

2 comments:

  1. No worries. I love beetroot. Shredded is a great way to eat it too xx such a fabulous colour as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, now I know what I'm going to do with those beetroot that have been lurking in the back of my fridge. I do love them, I just have to psych myself up to prepare them. Maybe it's all the bleeding and staining involved.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...