Friday, July 25, 2014

Treat me: Chocolate marmalade bars

I'm calling it now: I think marmalade is about to have a moment. I've reached this conclusion via a highly scientific process involving the fact that the Paddington Bear film (starring Colin Firth!) is out later this year and marmalade is sure to be a key marketing tool.

Paddington, in case you're not familiar with the tale, is passionate about marmalade and never goes anywhere without a marmalade sandwich about his person. If the thought of marmalade sandwiches leaves you cold, then I think one of these chocolate-studded, marmalade-filled bars might persuade you that the bear from Peru was onto a good thing.

Marmalade Chocolate Bars Easy Recipe Recipe/Photo: Lucy Corry

Chocolate Marmalade Bars
With rolled oats, butter and marmalade all key ingredients, you could just about get away with calling these sticky, chewy bars breakfast if it weren't for the nuggets of dark chocolate and crystallised ginger. This recipe is inspired by these jammy flapjacks, created by the ever-talented Choclette. The combination of thin-cut orange marmalade and chocolate makes these taste like a more wholesome Terry's Chocolate Orange. If you're a grapefruit marmalade fan, try some white chocolate chunks instead.

120g butter
400g thin-cut orange marmalade
220g rolled oats
50g dessicated coconut
150g crystallised ginger, cut into small dice
150g good quality dark chocolate, chopped into chunks

Heat the oven to 180C and line a brownie tin (measuring around 19cm x 27cm) with baking paper.
Put the butter and marmalade into a large saucepan and set over gentle heat,  stirring occasionally until the butter has melted. Set aside to cool for five minutes, then stir in the oats, coconut, ginger and half the chocolate until well mixed.
Press into the prepared tin, then scatter the remainder of the chocolate over the top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Leave to cool completely before cutting. Makes about 20 small bars. Store in an airtight container in a cool place.


This easy recipe is exceptionally timely - not only does the Wellington On A Plate Bake Club kick off next week with a slice challenge, but Karen at Lavender and Lovage, along with Janie of The Hedgecombers, have put a call out for flapjack and traybake recipes for this month's edition of Tea Time Treats. Check out Janie's link for more great traybake recipes if you're needing some #BakeClub inspiration.

Have a great weekend, everyone x

14 comments:

  1. I'm loving these - and if I need to use up that stock of homemade marmalade quickly I know where I'm coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - it's easy to cross over into 'too much marmalade' territory, but you can never have too many slices, right?

      Delete
  2. absolutely lovely... chocolate and marmalade, what a fab combo. I love choc and orange and this makes total sense. Sadly I believe that Mr Firth has pulled out of the film as he felt his voice didn't fit with the bear... not sure who they've got to replace him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I am obviously out of the loop - must update the story above. The choc-orange combo in this is really good, just like a chocolate orange or jaffas (the Antipodean equivalent). I'm also thinking about a chocolate-marmalade martini...

      Delete
  3. I wish i lived nearby so I could just visit for a slice... this looks very yummy & pretty easy... just my thing... xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is my way to eat marmalade - so much nicer than sandwiches - and yet sticky enough that I suspect paddington would love them too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, they are very sticky (and delicious!), but I have to recommend cream cheese and marmalade sandwiches too. Try them!

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of this film yet (I'm a huge Colin Firth fan!!). I'm also a huge fan of these lovely bars. I would love one now to satisfy my chocolate craving...love this, Lucy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lora - maybe Paddington's fame never spread to the US, but it's never too late! I recommend a plate of these and a stack of Paddington books to read to your kids... x

      Delete
  6. We live near to Paddington station in London where there is a cute little bronze statue of the little bear so I (in a very round about way) feel very much an affinity to these marvellous flapjacks! A lovely recipe Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I absolutely loved Paddington when I was a child and it's great to think he will be introduced to a new generation (even if it has to be via film).

      Delete
  7. I had no idea that dear old Paddington was being reinvented, how fun! I think these should be renamed Paddington Bars in his honour :)
    Thanks so much for sharing the recipe with Tea Time Treats
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie - great minds think alike - I nearly did call them Paddington Bars but thought that might be too confusing for all the non-fans!

      Delete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...