Friday, September 12, 2014

The best ever chocolate coconut chia pudding

There's no question about it; chia seeds are miraculous. Not only do they contain all sorts of good things like omega 3 fatty acids, potassium and all the amino acids a girl could want (making them a complete protein), they also swell amazingly fast in liquid meaning you can have chocolate pudding for breakfast. That's what I call a miracle.


Chocolate coconut chia pudding
This is my current favourite breakfast - it's very portable, very fast and it keeps you going for ages. The only trouble is, it's very hard to stop eating it, especially when you discover that it goes extremely well with a scoop of fridge-cold coconut cream (or yoghurt, if you're virtuous). If you have fearful childhood memories of sago and tapioca pudding, the bobbly texture may not be for you. But that just means there's more for me...

400ml can coconut milk
1/3 cup chia seeds
3 Tbsp best quality cocoa
1 Tbsp golden syrup or runny honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Put everything in a bowl and stir vigorously, until well mixed. Set aside - in a cold kitchen or in the fridge - for 15 minutes. The chia seeds will swell like magic, thickening the liquid. If it seems a little too thick, add a little water or more coconut milk. Grate a little chocolate or grind some vanilla over the top. Serves 2-4 people, depending on greed.

Have a great weekend, everyone! x

4 comments:

  1. People in the U.K, (excluding the raw foodist or vegans) are discovering chia for the first time. I myself am new to it, sent some via a Vegan Swap last year. It is an acquired taste as you mention similar to sago and tapioca, but I do love this recipe of yours Lucy, and will be making your chocolate coconut chia soon. I know I say that about lots of your recipes, but I think I have cooked more of your bookmarked recipes than anyone elses, the banana muesli is on the list first though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy! My children have requested Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding for dessert tonight. Who am I to say no?! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lucy, Just read your article in Tempo on zucchinis, marrows, courgettes etc, Please don't throw the
    marrows on the compost heap. Rest Homes would be glad to have them, as they put them in veg soup,
    quiches and baking of allsorts. Looking forward to try your Choc. Coconut Chia Pudding. Regards Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine, thanks so much for your kind feedback - I was being a bit facetious about the marrows and you are not the first person to tell me how useful they are. I agree they have their uses and if you do a bit of a search (one day I'll have a proper index!) you'll find I've got several recipes using marrows - a few years ago some friends 'gifted' me an enormous one. Hope you enjoy the chocolate pudding! Lucy

      Delete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...