Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Chilli chocolate syrup + a chilli chocolate martini

It's about this time of year that I start to feel slightly panicked and wish I could run away to some kind of closed community where they don't celebrate Christmas, or have jobs, or blogs or Things To Worry About. Do you feel like that too?

The internet is the worst place to be if you're in that kind of mood, because CHRISTMAS is around every turn. Don't, whatever you do, venture on to Pinterest, or you'll fall into a deep depression at the realisation that you've failed dismally as a mother/partner/sibling/friend/member of society because you haven't planned your themed decorations, hand-stitched jaunty bunting or made 20 sets of Frozen-themed figurines of every kid in your child's class from air-dried clay. And you've still got to bake for the school gala, sort your invoices, locate the spare car key and send your dear friend her birthday present, now three months overdue (sorry Claire!). 

Fear not, friends, because I have a remedy to lift you to a higher place. It's chocolate chilli syrup - and if pouring it over cake or ice cream doesn't cheer you up, then adding it to a martini certainly will. Here's how.

Chocolate-Chilli-Syrup-Recipe

Chocolate chilli syrup
If you're stuck for easy DIY Christmas gifts, this should go on the list. It takes minutes, doesn't cost much and is extremely simple. It's my offering for this month's We Should Cocoa challenge, hosted by the lovely Shaheen of Allotment2Kitchen. No surprises in guessing this month's guest ingredient - it's chilli.

1 cup water
1 cup caster sugar
3 Tbsp good quality cocoa powder
1 tsp chilli flakes

Stir the sugar and cocoa together in a small pot, then add the water and mix well. Bring to the boil and let simmer for five minutes, then remove from heat. Stir in the chilli and let cool to room temperature. Strain through a fine sieve into a jar or bottle and cover tightly. Store in the fridge.

Choc-Chilli-Martini-Easy-Recipe

Chocolate chilli martini
Martini purists, look away now - this is very much my desperate housewife interpretation.

60ml ice cold vodka
30ml vermouth
30ml chilli chocolate syrup
ice

Put all ingredients in a cocktail shaker (confession: I use a jam jar) and shake well. Strain into a martini glass (or two, if you're generous).

 

6 comments:

  1. I love this, I really do - I was thinking of making some chilli chocolate syrup but was not sure on the quantities, so you have truly helped me out. I will defo be making this and can see its versatility in my kitchen too. Yum. The martini looks good too! Thank you so much for sharing with WSC, and your genuine warmth x

    ReplyDelete
  2. he...he...love this post and love the sound of this chilli chocolate syrup. Wish I was on your Christmas present list.Thanks for sharing your recipe Lucy.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling the same way about Christmas - though I love a peek on pinterest for ideas but I do wonder who are these superparents doing all the amazing stuff (and sometimes I just comfort myself that these are the professionals!). I can imagine these would make a very elegant Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate and chillies, sounds odd to me, and with vodka, seems weird combination, but sounds "exited" to me. And this is easy, can't wait to stimulate my tongue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this would so suit me right now. Just perfect. You'd be most welcome in my (sort of) closed community. We don't celebrate Christmas (well, hardly) and we don't have jobs any longer but sadly we have a lot to worry about. Although after a couple of these little drinks I suspect that the worries would evaporate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I feel like this all the time. I could so lose myself in one of your Martini's right now, but sadly I'm on a fast day. Great idea for syrup - just add milk for a perfect hot chocolate too. Thanks for another great We Should Cocoa entry.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...