So I don't have a triumphant list of achievements to tick off - I didn't climb a mountain or win a race (though I did run two half-marathons). I didn't write a book or learn a language. I haven't grown anything spectacular in the garden, unless you count letting all the silverbeet go to seed (it does look pretty impressive when it's 6ft tall). I had lots of good ideas and acted on very few of them.
I was beginning to feel the year had been a complete write-off when I remembered my list of culinary resolutions for 2012. Let's see how they went...
|The Nibbly Tea - one of 2012's greatest hits|
2. I will learn to carve a turkey/chicken/poussin/quail properly... Done. We haven't eaten any turkeys, poussins or quail, but I can carve a chicken like a pro now, despite my lack of razor-sharp knives.
3. I will buy a slotted spoon... Done. Thanks to my lovely cousin Rebecca, who bought me one. It's a thing of beauty and I think of her every time I use it.
4. I will wear gloves to do the washing up and remember that wet teatowels are of no use whatsoever when handling hot oven trays.... Needs work.
5. I will delve into the piles of recipe cuttings and cull them ruthlessly... Needs work.
6. I will buy a tart tin with a removeable base so we can eat more pies.... Done! And I have an amazing book, Pie, to help me make more of them.
7. I will sit down to eat... I am trying, honest.
8. I will not sit down to eat at my desk, if I can help it. Fail. Epic Fail. But there is no time at work to do anything else.
9. I will just say no to the enormous glace cherry-topped macaroons sold at the supermarket... Done! I bought one in the middle of the year, ate it in about two bites and realised the spell was broken.
10. I will remember how lucky I am to be able to have food in my fridge and family and friends to share it with. Done. Often.
|The best sponge in the world - see Frankie issue 50 for the secret recipe!|
Thanks for your support this year. I'm looking forward to more fun and games in 2013. Pin It