Thursday, May 12, 2011

My creative space: Wild things

I woke up this morning and felt reasonably on top of things. The mountain of washing was being dealt to by the blustery wind, work was under control and the forecast was for sun. Then I chanced to look out the back door and remembered my secret shame...


This tangled mess is my garden. The rocket is approaching a metre high and I think that curly stuff underneath it is frisee lettuce. I know dandelions are edible but that doesn't mean I've let them set up camp in the thyme on purpose, nor am I encouraging the neighbour's cat to poo on what was supposed to be a patch of spring onions. Things have got so out of control out here that I don't know where to start. What should I do? Call Mr Green and hand over my credit card? Tell the council it's full of noxious plants that require their urgent attention? Or should I just pretend it's not there until next summer? What's happening in your garden at the moment. Is it like this, or can you inspire me to greatness?

(More organised, creative people who probably have perfect gardens here) Pin It

6 comments:

  1. My garden is just like that! All mixed together. I like it like that though and I deliberately plant my herbs all together. SOmetimes it can be frustrating though when the mint takes over the oregano which I like to use a bit in my spag bol. But all in all, if it's all edible - fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same secret shame. Actually, probably not so secret as it's right at my backdoor and anyone visiting the house gets to stare at it all day. But then, at least it's still got 'stuff to eat' in it, right!?! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't look like there's much to be ashamed of if it's all edible! Also, having lots of greenery to cover your soil can be a good thing (esp if you can eat it!), as it protects the soil from the sun which does mean things to the micro-bits in your soil. You can still eat the rocket leaves anyway, just blanch them if you don't want them too strong and chuck them in a pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks a bit like mine at the moment Lucy. But I've recently had a delicious stinging nettle risotto thanks to it and I believe that the bud in the dandelion root tastes a little bit like globe artichoke when it's roasted!

    I love overgrown wild gardens so much more that carefully manicured ones, yours is lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  5. shame on you Lucy... get out there and get friggin'.... cut that lot back and make a soup!... shame shame shame! (enough shame already?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness I'm not the only one!!! My grass is so high it's nearly hiding the rhubarb - no mean feat when you think how tall rhubarb gets.

    My main mistake was thinking I had the energy to grow my own when I don't even have the energy to mow the lawn! Good Luck with your patch!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...