Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Grilled zucchini and feta

I've just read the most ridiculous line in a celebrity gossip story (I know, I know) where some starlet tells the interviewer that her friends all go on juice detoxes but she doesn't need to because she mostly only eats egg whites, vegetables and herbal tea. Yeah, right. Pull the other one, it's got prescription drugs on it. I mean, does ANYONE really eat like that? No wonder she always looks so pained in photographs - she's starving.

That said, I have personally reached my hot cross bun and chocolate limit for a few days and fancy eating green things with a bit of crunch. And a bit of cheese.


Griddled zucchini, feta, lemon and broad beans
I'm hoping the odd weather means the zucchini I've been buying at the market are just late bloomers and not out of a coolstore. The broad beans are out of the freezer and the lemons from our neighbours' tree (we repay them in baking, honest). This is a really easy dish to throw together when you're pottering around doing other things. If you don't have a griddle pan, use a frying pan or roast them in the oven.

3-4 small zucchini, sliced lengthways into 5mm strips
2 cups frozen broad beans (or fresh ones!)
a nice chunk of good feta
a lemon or two
extra virgin olive oil

Brush the zucchini with olive oil and cook put on a ridged grill pan, turning as appropriate.
While they're cooking, put the broad beans in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for a couple of minutes, then drain. Pop the beans out of their shells and put on a serving plate with the cooked zucchini/ Crumble the feta on top, then zest over the lemon before squeezing over its juice. Add a splash of olive oil (not too much, as the zucchini will be reasonably well-oiled). Season with salt and pepper, then toss gently before serving. This is good on its own as a very light meal or as a side salad. Egg whites and herbal tea optional. Serves two as a meal, more as a salad. Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Oooh yum! I need to eat more green this week too ;) This recipe reminds me of one I used to make - basically the same ingredients but scattered on top of a sheet of puff pastry and cooked as a galette. It also had fresh mint sprinkled on top after you cooked it. Delish.
    x Rhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. going to make this yum, be nice with a bit of mint and a roast leg of lamb ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of people are suffering from Easter fatigue! This looks like a perfect remedy though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love green vegetables and cheese. This looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the perfect antidote to too much chocolate. Love the sound of the flavours too, all I need now is for it to warm up a bit here!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...