Monday, September 03, 2012

My date with Dean (and Ruth)

Nearly two years ago I confessed my secret crush on Dean Brettschneider, an obsession that cost me quite a lot in library fines and probably made me quite boring to live with for a month or so while I read every word in Global Baker.

Image via here
As proof that dreams sometimes do come true, yesterday I got to have a date with Dean. It was just like a fairytale. There was me, him, a catering kitchen and a lot of pastry. Oh, and about 35 other people. And national treasure Ruth Pretty, who hosted the whole thing at her bucolic Te Horo estate. But those are small details.

They say you should never meet your heroes, but Dean was brilliant. Together we made foccaccia and puff pastry (it was so easy!) and an incredible mille-feuille with feathered pink icing. When we weren't doing that we were eating things from his latest book, which is devoted to my other favourite subject, pies. The sun shone, Dean talked, Ruth made jokes, we ate vast amounts and Ruth's amazing staff did all the tidying up. It was heavenly.


Dean has another new book, solely devoted to bread, coming out next year and he's promised to come back to Ruth's to teach another class. I expect a stampede for tickets along the lines of the queues at his Singapore bakery, Baker & Spice. In the meantime, I am going to perfect my puff pastry techniques so I can pass on the mille-feuille making knowledge. Stay tuned...

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I sounds like you are a very happy girl and I don;t blame you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you.. and I can see why!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the perfect way to perfect your pastry. Pies, mmmm. What I would give for pie and mash with the the requisite liquer. You can take the girl out of East London but....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jammy bugger! What a treat and I am well impressed that you made your own puff pastry and it was easy!!! Might be tempted to give it a go ... maybe ;0)
    And thanks for the cookbook lust ... Santa now has another request for his sleigh this year ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who Dean is, but if he made that pie on the front of the book I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) happy you like the book cover and yes I made it - www.globalbaker.com
      Best Dean

      Delete
  6. I think Dean is pretty underrated here. Would have loved to have been at that class. Wonder if there's any coming up in Auckland?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want your life Lucy! So glad you share it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool you met your crush;)That book looks really nice and I'd also love to see the bread one:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...