Friday, September 09, 2011

Sweet sweet Friday: Boozy Truffles

We Should Cocoa, the sweet little blogging event brought into the world by Chele and Choclette, is one this month. Hasn't it grown? I feel particularly attached to WSC, in the manner of a doting aunt, because it was the first blogging challenge I felt brave enough to enter. This blog baby has been just like the real thing, causing late nights (unable to sleep after eating too many chocolate caramel bars), tears (my jeans don't fit - was it that last slice of chocolate roulade?) and moments of triumph (beautifying chocolate honey tea). Mostly though, just like a real baby, it's been a way to discover lots of other likeminded souls. So thank you, Chele and Choclette, I can't wait to see how your baby grows from here.


Boozy Chocolate Truffles
The theme of this month's WSC challenge is to make something suitable for a first birthday. As luck would have it, I went to a first birthday party last weekend and made up a batch of these decadent truffles for the parents of twins Alex and Will. These are strictly adults only - I boxed them up and called them 'Parenting Pills: Take one and lie down when suffering from symptoms of extreme parenting'. The twins' mum, who must be the most calm person I know, later emailed that she had upped the dose to three. I think that's testimony to their addictive nature.

250g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I use Whittaker's 72% Dark Ghana)
50g butter
125ml cream
3Tbsp dark rum (or brandy, or whisky, or a liqueur of your choice)
1 egg yolk
2 x 70g packets of hundreds and thousands (non pareils) or similar

Put the chocolate, butter, cream and rum into a heatproof bowl and put into a low oven - or over a saucepan of simmering water, or in a microwave - and melt, stirring occasionally. The oven method is really easy, as long as you don't forget it's there.
Let cool for a minute or two, then stir in the egg yolk until well mixed. Let cool for 10 minutes, then chill in the fridge until set (about an hour).
Roll teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls - this is a sticky job, don't even think about answering the phone etc while you're doing it - then roll in the hundreds and thousands. You can use sifted cocoa instead for a chic-er look, but the coloured sprinkles are very cheerful and make a nice textural contrast. Keep in the fridge until serving.

Have a sweet, sweet Friday everyone x Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Love your parenting pills Lucy. I could do with a box of those here please. And I don't even have 1 year old twins. Imagine feeding time with two hungry mouths and four hands trying to grab the spoons and bowls and food - it must be MESSY. I am not a patient person. My two are quite enough stress for me. Eek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure kids would love these.And kidalike as well;)
    When it comes to the blogging I think lot of us recognise the symptoms:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are stunning! What a great idea. I could do with a dose of them myself right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could certainly do with a good dose right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect treat to bring to the virtual party ;0)
    And 100's & 1000's (or tons and lots as I called them when I was little) are the best addition ever, what 1 year old doesn't love 100's & 1000's! Thanks so much for taking part, not just this month but every month. Its down to folks like you who help make WSC successful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Lucy! A yummy treat for the parents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog, great recipes and highly entertaining. As for those Parenting Pills, I think I need a prescription too. Thanks for your visit, I’ll definitely be back to The Kitchen Maid for more cooking inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think (not having children) I would call them life pills and dose as necessary. I absolutely love the look of hundreds and thousands - sure cocoa is chic but all those rainbow colours are so beautiful.

    I always forget about blogging events - should really take part in a few more. Or any...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great - I love the way you've decorated them; they look like something Willy Wonka would make! I'm looking at truffles too - Ina Garten has an amazing looking rum and raisin truffle recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have kids but I would love a prescription for these! They look great and perfect for a party. I've drooled over WSC for months but never entered yet, I really should!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are fab and a very brilliant idea. Can you send me some immediately?

    ReplyDelete
  12. did someone mention booze and chocolate !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look yummy! Perfect for parties!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great - I love the coloured sprinkles, very celebratory and perfect for parties!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Lucy and thanks for sticking with us too. It's ridiculous how I now feel like a proud parent every time I do a round-up. You're all such creative geniuses and lovely people. Are non-parents allowed your parenting pills. I know I need some. Great way to celebrate a 1t birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...