Monday, November 28, 2011

Panettone problems

There's probably a list somewhere of things you shouldn't attempt to do the weekend before you move house. Making panettone, the notoriously time-intensive Italian Christmas bread, is probably one of them, but I thought it would beat cleaning the oven(s) and making decisions about what to do with all those little things that pile up on the kitchen island while you're putting big things into boxes.

The main reason for this folly was that Sarah of Maison Cupcake chose panettone for the November Fresh From The Oven challenge and this weekend was my last chance to make it. I thought I devoted a reasonable amount of love and attention to the dough - I even nursed it on my lap to keep it warm while watching the last, tear-jerking episode of Downton Abbey - but I did neglect it a bit, shoving it in the fridge overnight because I was too tired to stay up and let it rise some more. Then I baked it in an angel food cake tin (I didn't have the right sort of 18cm high, round tin anyway - and I'd packed all the others.
While it looked good enough (untraditional shape aside), it was surprisingly dry and much heavier than I had hoped. I blame myself, not the recipe, but I don't think there's much point replicating it here until I can figure out what exactly went wrong. I'm also consoling myself that none of my Italian cookbooks had a recipe, which infers that all good Italians buy theirs instead. In the meantime, here's a well-researched recipe I wish I'd remembered bookmarking last year. It sounds both incredibly easy and delicious - and there's still lots of time before Christmas to get it right.

Have you made panettone before? Do you know any tricks? Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Yes but you're moving house so who cares eh? I've never made it before but have seen it done in tin cans before which looks pretty. Hope you don't get too stressed moving. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't worry, moving house is a huge stress! Hope all goes well with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the move! I have no such excuse and am going to attempt it this week-I've set aside an entire day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's crazy! I would so love to attempt Pannetone but am, frankly, terrified to. And moving house? You should be knighted or damed or whatever it is... : }

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought about making Pannetone last year but didn't get around to it. Sort of have this feeling it wouldn't turn our very well anyway, so why bother. Now you've confirmed it ;-) Good luck with your move - again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey well done to do this mid house move! I hope all has gone well and I am not sure I will make it in time for the pannetone challenge myself so am v impressed with yours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Above and beyond the call of duty to make this at such a time. I keep thinking I should try making one but then I remember how cheap they are just after Christmas as the supermarkets try to get rid of them and I lose motivation. Best of luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm like everyone else... keep meaning to get around to this but haven't quite mustered up the time/energy/will yet. Definitely wouldn't attempt it before moving house, you are a brave lady! Good luck with the move :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo for even attempting this and a house move at the same time. On the bright side it makes great bread and butter pudding or french toast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the move!

    I've wanted to try making pannetone for a long time, wanted to last Christmas in fact but couldn't find a decent recipe. I do like the look of the one you linked through to though. But do I have time this year...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made some individual ones in tin cans last xmas...for the first time...it was a labour of love. I thought that it tasted better the second day...but still no where near as light as those fabulous store bought ones xxx i'm trying a big one this year...and will probs feel the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry it didn't turn out well for you. I didn't managed to bake the recipe this month. Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Panettone it seems was quite a challenge for everybody. Me too. Good luck with the moving and all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressed that you gave this a go despite being in the middle of moving house. I have no such grand excuses but simply didn't manage to get mine made in time - you put me to shame!

    Even if the panettone wasn't perfect I bet it tasted delicious toasted with a little butter...there's not much that can't be salvaged with that treatment :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...