Sunday, April 12, 2015

Five fab ways with beetroot

I have one plan for my winter vegetable garden. When - or if - the wind drops and the rain stops - I'm going to plan beetroot by the dozen. Their beautiful green and crimson leaves will look quite fetching on grey winter days and the roots will be protected from the wild weather, packed in cacao husks and zoo compost. At least, that's the plan. In the meantime, I've made a list of my five favourite ways with beetroot, including a truly addictive dip. If I don't get my own harvest sorted, I'll be doing my bit to support local beetroot growers.


1. Beetroot, Feta And Wasabi Dip
This dip is super easy to make if you use vacuum-packed ready-cooked beetroot (now finally widely available in New Zealand supermarkets - look for the LeaderBrand packs near the salad vegetables in your supermarket). I dollop it on crostini or crackers with a bit of cream cheese or strained Greek yoghurt, then sprinkle something green on top. The only other thing you have to do is not tip it down your front, especially when wearing anything white.

250g cooked beetroot
1 clove garlic, squashed to a paste with 1/4 tsp salt
100g feta, diced
2 Tbsp Greek yoghurt
1/2 tsp wasabi (or horseradish)
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

Put all ingredients in a food processor and whizz until a smooth puree forms (stop to scrape down the sides of the processor as necessary). Taste for seasoning, then scrape into a bowl and serve. Makes about two cups - store any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days.

2. Shocking Pink Beetroot Bread
This is a true 'do not adjust your set' representation of what this Beetroot Bread looks like in real life - it really IS that pink. It doesn't have any discernable beet-y flavour, but the pinkness is pretty fun.


3. Raw Beetroot With Caraway, Fennel And Feta
One day I sent my beloved to the shops to buy caraway seeds - and he helpfully came back with a 500g bag. I've resisted the urge to make endless seed cakes, but I have found a use for them in this salad, which combines caraway with raw grated beetroot, fennel and feta.


4. Raw Beetroot Bliss Balls
These Raw Beetroot Bliss Balls are another pretty-in-pink flight of fancy - the colour is all-natural. Think of the anti-oxidants! If you're trying to get your children (or other friends and family) to eat more vegetables, this is a very easy way to do it.


5. Big Bold Beetroot Soup
Beetroot is a key ingredient in this hearty winter soup for people who don't like following recipes (particularly husbands, I have found). It's big, bold, red - and delicious.


What's your favourite thing to do with beetroot?

11 comments:

  1. All bookmarked to make as all look yummy yummy yummy. I picked up beetroot bread a while back and was a tad disappointed with it, so am glad to find a link to your recipe, so will make in the very near future, still want to make those beetroot bliss balls too. Hope your well Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - do try the beetroot bread, it is very easy and fun to make (if a bit confronting to eat). The bliss balls are great too and if you don't have beetroot handy, you can make them with carrot!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely set of colorful recipes! I like to roast red beets and eat them as salad and also use them to make scones (I actually made a batch last night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink scones! They sound great - excellent birthday party food for all the little girls I know. Roasted beetroot is lovely too.

      Delete
  3. Those are seriously colourful recipes and I'd happily eat them all right now. I know a large number of people who claim not to like beetroot. I think there's a case for hunting people like that down with oversized butterfly nets. I love the stuff, although I can't seem to grow it very successfully for some reason. I'm deeply thankful for vacuum-packed ready-cooked beetroot. Beetroot 'tarte tatin' can be pretty good, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - I think a lot of people were put off by the tinny taste of the pickled stuff (not me, I love that too!) I once made a beetroot TT with pumpkin pastry - it was, as they say, a visual symphony.

      Delete
  4. So nice to have some cheerful pink winter veg because sometimes it seems all northern hemisphere talking about spring veg and when it is not then it just seems the our summer and autumn bounty is coming to an end! Good luck with your beetroot growing - am sure you will do great food with it if these recipes are any guide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping to grow some of those beautiful chioggia beets with striped flesh... hope being the operative word!

      Delete
  5. loving the beetroot...you MUST try a beetroot risotto, it's such fun and SO red! That wasabi dip sounds incredible x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy, not sure my comment went through. Just wanted to say thanks for reminding me I could do something with beetroot besides just put it on a salad! That bread, of course, intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...