Monday, January 14, 2013

Hello, is it me you're cooking for?

I've been spending a bit of time lately looking at wedding gift lists - well, one wedding gift list in particular. One of my nieces is getting married on Friday and late last year she asked me to look at her list and see if there was any essential kitchen kit missing.

Now, I'm not sure where I stand on the whole wedding gift list thing, but when I saw hers I really wished we had had one*. There's a copper bassine for whipping egg whites, lovely glasses, an almond cream KitchenAid and sundry other things that it would be brilliant to start married life with.

But there's one thing that isn't on Anna's list that I think she really needs. Really. I just wish I'd seen it earlier...
Lionel Richie Spoon Rest
Image via LennyMud
If you know someone who could use a Lionel Richie spoon rest (or, indeed, a mug emblazoned with 'Fifty Shades of Earl Grey') it's good to know this Etsy shop will fulfil their every need. I'm sure they do wedding lists...

What kitchen kit did you get - or would like to have got - when you got married? 

*I'm not saying it wasn't great to receive approximately 30 platters - all of which we have used - but it was quite funny at the time given we lived in a tiny flat with absolutely nowhere to put them.




Pin It

8 comments:

  1. lol. A spoon rest? I just use a little bowl. Also good for when I want to sneak a taste :) I do love the design though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did make me laugh! Lots of kitchen kit, including some I'm still using over 30 years later. Cake forks are a must,as you will never go and buy them yourself. Butter knives are a bit of a waste of time even if your great-aunt makes you give her a penny so you don't 'cut your friendship'! A few wooden spoons and some tea towels wouldn't go amiss on the lists of some brides ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My spoon rests didn't survive the last kitchen clear out following a decision (not mine) that they weren't really necessary. I now really miss them and this could be for me. My wedding list was a list of very cheap things because nobody I knew had any money at the time (nothing much changes) and all my kitchen gifts have long since broken or fallen apart. I did get a garden fork, though, and that's still in the shed somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel uncomfortable about wedding lists. None of my friends and relatives have used one, so I don't have any actual experience of them, but it seems to me that it may put pressure on people to buy more expensive gifts than they can really afford.
    Personally, I would prefer to see a simple list with colour samples of the couple's favoured colour scheme and a description of their taste, i.e. bone china, rustic, simplistic, arty etc.
    Yes the result would be a more eclectic collection and less matchy-matchy, but it would also be a lot more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Admittedly it was almost 18 years ago but wedding lists were all the rage then although I remember feeling very uncomfortable about it all at the time. For all the pots and pans, chopping boards, platters and china gifted from our list its the off list gifts that I love and cherish the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate getting a wedding invite and NOT receiving a list, I'd much rather give someone something that they wanted rather than waste money on something they're either going to shove in the back of the cupboard or give away. I think keepsakes are a waste of money as we all have different tastes and what I think is pretty will be someone else's tat!

    And with that thought, I'm off to buy a spoon rest I don't need...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! We got a thousand platters as well! Perhaps we were married around the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...